Thursday, June 4, 2009

4 Years and Counting...

Today is Kyle and I's 4 year anniversary. As I reflect over the last few years, I can't help but smile. Our lives have changed and we've been moved in directions I could not foresee.

4 years ago...I had just graduated from college. I had always said I would be out of school before I got hitched. Well, I accomplished that goal by a whopping 3 weeks. Kyle had 2 more semesters and he would be a college graduate as well, so following our first married summer I enrolled in the Sports Management Masters program at Southwestern. Classes started in the fall and I completed my education December 2006.

4 years ago...Kyle worked the night shift at the Foss Lake Adventure Program and I worked 2 part-time jobs, which was well over 40 hours each week. One job was at the trusty Wellness Center with my dear friends Scott & Nelson. The second (and less desired) at Movie Gallery with the drama queens who loved to involve everyone in their, well, drama. Kyle and I only saw each other for short moments, never really getting to spend a lot of quality time with one another. It was tough - but I think it made us stronger and helped us endure the same schedule conflicts in the future. We'd done it once - we could do it again.

4 years ago...we lived in a trailer house surrounded by other trailer houses in a trailer park on the outskirts of Weatherford. Never in my life had I lived in a trailer. I distinctly remember being home alone one night (Kyle was working, of course) and a big, typical Oklahoma storm hit. I called him in a panic, and asked, "Is the trailer going to roll down the highway? Should I leave? What do I do?" He just laughed and said, "I'm sure it's fine." He was right.

4 years ago...I could not had known that we would end up in Norman, OK, Kyle working as a police officer and myself for the largest newspaper & communications company in Oklahoma. I thought I'd have at least 2 kids by now, be living in Weatherford or possibly Cordell (if Kyle's Highway Patrol plans had come to fruition). I thought I'd be more domestic, willing to stay home with the kids, cook big meals, and iron his clothes. Wrong.

4 years ago...I had no idea how much I could love Kyle. I knew I loved him and I knew he loved me. But our love has grown into a beautiful, comfortable yet exciting place. I trust him more. I think he's funnier, sexier, smarter, and an all around better person than he was when I married him. Our marriage has had it's bumps, it's turns in the road and the occasional dead-ends. But more than anything it's been wonderful. Fun. I rest easy knowing that I married my best friend, the man that God had destined for me long before we were born. I don't know what the future holds, but if it's anything like the last 4 years, I know we'll be just fine.

2 comments:

Felix Family said...

LOVE the diary of the past four years. WAY to go! Dent and I are the same way, we have come a long ways, but it all hasn't been easy.

Congrats!!!

Wendy said...

Thanks for reading! Congrats on your upcoming 6th anniversary! We married well, don't you think? Our boys are great!!